Registration Number 1444
Mr. Ryan's Waco
This aircraft was a Waco 10 (GXE) with original manufacturer’s
serial number 893. The Advance Aircraft Company, Troy, OH
built it on 9/2/1927. It left the factory at 2,050 lbs.,
with a 90 HP Curtiss OX-5 engine S/N 5172. For its short
life, it had an inordinate number of different engines (five),
and was owned by a well-known airplane manufacturer.
It was sold to the T.C.
Ryan Aeronautical Corporation (builder of the “Spirit
of St. Louis”), 413 Union Bldg., San Diego, CA on 9/2/1928.
This date is just shy of four months after Lindbergh made
his trans-Atlantic flight.
The airplane landed at the Davis-Monthan Airfield on 9/13/1927.
It arrived at 4:15 PM and departed at 7:30 AM the next day.
Mr. Ryan was the pilot, and a Mr. John R. Conway was the passenger.
They were inbound from Troy, OH on their way to San Diego.
Coincidentally, Waco 10, registry number 1443, logged in and
out at the same time, coming from Troy, but headed for Los
Angeles. It was flown by J.B. Alexander. This was, no doubt, a flight of two factory-fresh
Wacos. Both of them were inspected by the U.S. Border Patrol while on the ground at Tucson.
Ryan’s Waco was soon, on 9/27/1927, resold to the B.F.
Mahoney Aircraft Corp., San Diego, CA. It was purchased without
its engine for $2,145.00. A Curtiss OX-5, c/n 5410 was installed.
Later, on 4/20/1928, another OX-5 c/n 5943 was installed and
the c/n of the aircraft was changed to 893A by the Department
It was sold on 3/7/1929 to C.C. Edgington, 3200 Barnett Ave.,
San Diego, CA. It was re-covered with fabric (presumably by
its previous owner) at 405 hours, and was reported with 512
hours total time on 3/12/1929 (about 250 hours per year average
It was sold on 4/10/1929 again to the T.C. Ryan Aeronautical
Corp., 3300 Barnett Ave., San Diego, CA. It had OX-5 engine
c/n 4294 installed. About a year later, in what looks like
an internal asset shuffle, the plane was resold to the T.C.
Ryan Aeronautical Company, licensed as a Waco GXE, and fitted
with OX-5 c/n 4691.
It was then sold to James D. Irick, Gamerco, NM on 12/29/1930.
It suffered an accident at Clayton, NM a month later on 1/27/1931
and sold to L.C. Woods, Box 157, Winslow, AZ on 7/14/1931.
It was reported as dismantled as of December, 1932. Its license
was cancelled on 12/20/1932.
UPLOADED: 6/9/05 REVISED: 01/23/06, 10/08/07