In 1933, Denver Municipal Airport was located 5.5 miles northeast
of the city of Denver. It was irregular in shape at 5,301
feet altitude. It had a Department of Commerce A-1-A rating.
Day markings consisted of the standard white circle at field
center, and "DENVER MUNICIPAL AIRPORT" painted on
The entire field was available for use with four preferred
sandy-loam runways, 4,524 ft. E/W, 4,042 ft. N/S, 4,881 ft.
NW/SE and 5,537 ft. NE/SW. Boundary, flood and obstruction
lights were installed, with a 24" rotating green/white
beacon flashing "DV". There were no landing fees,
but floodlight charge was $1.00.
Telephone (number was Franklin 4100), two-way radio (aeronautical
station KGSP, 278 kcs.) and weather reports were available
on the field. Restaurant and sleeping quarters were available
on the field, and modern hotels and restaurants were in the
city. Taxi to the city was 50 cents to a dollar.
Services featured fuel, oil, hangars and licensed repair
depot No. 154 with mechanics available day or night. A dope
shed and woodworking shop were also located at the field.
Operators included Calhoun Flying Service and Reavis Flying
Service, Inc. and Western Flying Service, Inc. providing flight
instruction, and United States Airways, Inc., Wyoming Air
Express and Western Air Express, Inc. providing transport
operations. W.M Bartosch provided instrument repair.
The ground-level image below, shared with us by friend of dmairfield Tim Kalina, is labeled "Denver Municipal 1930s". The two hangar buildings are visible at center, and the terminal building is just off the right side.
Denver Municipal Airport, ca. 1930s
A guess would be that this image was taken before the one at top, because the land appears less developed.
UPLOADED: 06/05 REVISED: 10/16/08