View products that support


This information comes from the listings of Non-Prefixed and Non-Suffixed aircraft reviewed by me in the archives of the National Air & Space Museum, Washington, DC.

Davis-Monthan Aviation Field Register
CulturalMotion PicturesFriendsNon Profit statusProducts and services
ReferencesPublicationsCollectionsGuest EditorsPress Coverage


Registration Number NC7101

Remains Of No Value

This aircraft is a Buhl CA-3C Sport Air Sedan S/N 33 (ATC #46) built in July 1928 by Buhl Aircraft Company, Marysville, MI. It had a 200 HP Wright Whirlwind J5-AB engine, S/N 8981. It weighed 3,200 pounds. It was sold new on 10/4/28 for $11,500 to Frederick C. Porter of Santa Monica, CA. He was from Porter-Hughes Aircraft, Buhl distributors on the west coast.

We see NC7101 at Tucson on October 16, 1928 piloted by Mr. Porter. He is carrying his wife as passenger. They were on their way from El Paso, TX to Santa Monica, perhaps ferrying this new airplane from the factory. They sold it on March 15, 1929 to Lynn H. Hayes of Van Nuys, CA “for camera ship and demonstrating.” Three months later, on June 20, 1929 it sold to Angelus Aero Corp., Los Angeles Metropolitan Airport, Van Nuys, CA “for use as refueling ship with belt for refueling man.” It was issued an “NR” registration on July 18, 1929, restricted for refueling only.

Its refueling adventures were short-lived, since, on August 4, 1929 the fuselage was re-covered, seat belts secured to longerons and seats reinstalled after all refueling equipment was removed. The airplane had accumulated 169:45 flight hours.

It then changed hands five times up to August 26, 1938 when it suffered an accident at Pocatello, ID. The propeller blades were bent; no record of pilot or passenger condition. The airframe had accumulated about 658 flight hours in nine years. Then, other than some minor re-covering entries, between 1938 and 1944 there is a gap in the record. No doubt this is due to the intervention of WWII.

Near the end of WWII it sold another five times in rapid succession during 1944-45, winding up with A. H. Ferguson in Dennydale, WA. On April 2, 1946 the tail wheel was re-built to steerable with parts from a, “Navy tandem trainer.” The registration was cancelled February 15, 1951 at the request of Mr. Ferguson, because the airplane was, “crashed and junked; remains at Duvall, WA of no value.”



The Register


I'm looking for photographs of this airplane to include on this page. If you have one or more you'd like to share, please use this FORM to contact me.
Contact Us | Credits | Copyright © 2008 Delta Mike Airfield, Inc.
This website is best enjoyed in a 1024 x 768 screen resolution.
Web design by The Web Professional, Inc