Pilot Eyes

View products that support dmairfield.org


Your copy of the Davis-Monthan Airfield Register with all the pilots' signatures and helpful cross-references to pilots and their aircraft is available at the link. Use this FORM to order a copy signed by the author, while supplies last.


Some of this information comes from the biographical file for pilot Buck, CB-851700-01, reviewed by me in the archives of the National Air & Space Museum (NASM), Washington, DC.

Information for this page came from that file, specifically the record "Aviation Activities of Robert Buck (American) (Book No. 1-RBUC) As Told to the Press" April 30, 1930-April 10, 1933.


The Congress of Ghosts is an anniversary celebration for 2010.  It is an historical biography, that celebrates the 5th year online of www.dmairfield.org and the 10th year of effort on the project dedicated to analyze and exhibit the history embodied in the Register of the Davis-Monthan Airfield, Tucson, AZ. This book includes over thirty people, aircraft and events that swirled through Tucson between 1925 and 1936. It includes across 277 pages previously unpublished photographs and texts, and facsimiles of personal letters, diaries and military orders. Order your copy at the link.


Military Aircraft of the Davis Monthan Register, 1925-1936 is available at the link. This book describes and illustrates with black & white photographs the majority of military aircraft that landed at the Davis-Monthan Airfield between 1925 and 1936. The book includes biographies of some of the pilots who flew the aircraft to Tucson as well as extensive listings of all the pilots and airplanes. Use this FORM to order a copy signed by the author, while supplies last.


New York Times, 5/11/30, 10/19/30.

Newark Star-Eagle, 2/18/31, 5/15/31.

Washington Star, 8/9/32. Washington Post, 8/10/32. Washington Herald, 8/11/32.

Aircraft Yearbook. 1933. p. 132.


Davis-Monthan Aviation Field Register
CulturalMotion PicturesFriendsNon Profit statusProducts and services
ReferencesPublicationsCollectionsGuest EditorsPress Coverage


It is with great sorrow that I announce to you the passing of Robert N. Buck on Saturday April 14, 2007. He died as a result of injuries sustained from a fall at his home in Vermont. I first spoke with him on the telephone during March, 2006, shortly after putting this page online. We planned to meet, as I have done with all living signers of the Davis-Monthan Register. I procrastinated about going to visit him. Lesson learned.

On this Web site we have three first-person accounts of flights to the old Davis-Monthan Airfield. Bobbi Trout passed away in 2003. To my knowledge there are now just two surviving signers of the Register, Wm. T. Piper, Jr. and John Miller. If you know of any others, please let me know, NOW!

See published tributes to Bob Buck here, here, and here.


Robert N. Buck started flying early. He soloed on March 15th and received his pilot's license on April 10, 1930 at age 16.

Robert Buck & Grandmother 5/11/30

A month later, the New York Times (5/11/30) headlined, "Youth Takes an Older Generation Skylarking", wherein it reported a 20 minute flight during which pilot Buck took his 73 year-old grandmother aloft over Westfield, NJ for her first airplane flight. She reported that she enjoyed the flight greatly and would readily make another. Image, right, is of Bob and his grandmother, Mrs. Elizabeth Bellingrath, from the New York Times.

In the fall of 1930, he attempted to break the 2,510 mile Newark to Los Angeles junior transcontinental record. The record stood at 29 hours and 40 minutes. He flew the same airplane, NC549K, that he later brought to Tucson. A photograph of him taken in that airplane in 1930 is at the link.

After a couple of delays due to weather, he left New Jersey on September 29th. A motion picture of his departure from Newark Metropolitan Airport is at the link. He refueled at Martins Ferry and Columbus, OH, and at Indianapolis and St. Louis, MO. He had been flying for eight months and had accumulated 150 solo hours. He carried six chocolate bars and an old army canteen of water.

When he reached Wichita, KS he was an hour and 15 minutes ahead of record time. Then things fell apart. He had an oil pressure problem upon departure from Wichita, and returned there for repairs. He departed again, and headwinds delayed his arrival at Amarillo, TX by about an hour.

He departed Amarillo on October 3rd, only to have engine problems about 70 miles west. He landed at Glenrio, NM where it was determined that he needed to replace an engine cylinder. After repairs, he headed west again and, on October 7th, completed his westbound flight to California in 28 hours elapsed flying time, an hour and 40 minutes faster than the old record. Below, from friend of dmairfield.org, John Underwood, is a photograph of Buck and his airplane in Alhambra, CA, the western terminus of his record flight. Note that it is autographed for contributor Underwood.

Robert Buck and NC549K in Alhambra, CA, Ca. October 7, 1930 (Source: Underwood)
Robert Buck and NC549K in Alhambra, CA, Ca. October 7, 1930 (Source: Underwood)

Below, from Mr. Underwood, in response for a clarification of location, confirmation from Captain Buck of the location of the photograph. Note how this contemporary letter is written on facsimile TWA stationery that advertises the Constellation sleeper service that Captain Buck used to fly in the 1940s-50s. The reference to Hollywood actor Tyrone Power has to do with a round-th-world flight Buck made with Power. The details are in Buck's "North Star Over My Shoulder" referenced in the right sidebar.

Confirmation of Photo Location, 1930 (Source: Underwood)
Confirmation of Photo Location, 1930 (Source: Underwood)

He then turned around and captured the west-east record by flying from Los Angeles to Newark, NJ in 23 hours 47 minutes elapsed flight time. He landed back east on October 19th. These records earned him some notoriety. Within a year after his flights, he published a book, "Coast to Coast on Wings" with Putnam & Sons, and dedicated it to his flight instructor.

On February 15, 1931 at 3AM he left Newark headed for Havana, Cuba. After stops in Raleigh, NC and Jacksonville, FL, he landed in Miami on the same evening at 6:14PM (a long day, even by today's small plane flying standards). He departed Miami on the 16th at 2:53PM and reached Havana at 5:25 the same afternoon. His flying time was 14 hours and 17 minutes, a record for juniors.

He intended to return to New Jersey in one day, but was thwarted in that attempt because, on February 22nd when he arrived at the airport bright and early, there was no one around. He waited until 11AM for someone to arrive and unlock the hangar where his airplane (NC549K) was stored.

He finally flew to Miami, spent an overnight there, and flew to Newark the next day via Jacksonville, Columbia, SC, and Camden, NJ. He did not follow the same route during his return. His flight time north was 13 hours 5 minutes, bettering his southbound time by over an hour. He had flown all day without eating or drinking. He was 17 years old and had accumulated about 330 total flight hours.

Less than a week later, on February 28, 1931, he earned his automobile driver's license. The Motor Vehicle Commissioner told him he hoped his road record would be as good as his flying record (Newark Star-Eagle, 2/18/31).

On March 22, barely a year since he had soloed, pilot Buck and his parents visited Washington, DC by rail for a meeting with President Hoover at the White House. Buck presented the President with an 18-inch cigar he carried from Cuba.

Robert N. Buck, September 15, 1930

Now comes pilot Buck to Tucson. Bob Buck landed at Tucson three times, on August 14 and 22, 1932 and on October 8, 1933. He was solo each time flying Pitcairn PA-6 NC549K. His airplane, a Sport Mailwing, was named "Yankee Clipper".

His 1932 visits to Tucson were made in conjunction with a flight record attempt to Mexico City. According to contemporary newspaper accounts, he departed Newark, NJ at 3:05 AM on August 9th on a 2,250 mile route to Mexico City.

His first scheduled stop was Richmond, VA. He landed at Richmond at 6 AM and departed for Spartanburg, SC at 6:25. Later on the 9th he made refueling stops at Atlanta, GA and Montgomery, AL, then flew to New Orleans for an overnight.

Next day he flew to Houston and then Brownsville, TX. On the 11th he departed for Tampico and Mexico City. His total flight time was 24 hours and 5 minutes.

After his flight to Mexico, he returned to the U.S. north through El Paso and Tucson on his way to Los Angeles, CA. He set another record by flying that route in 20 hours.


One thing that comes through to me from the reading I have done to prepare this page, is the nurturing support Robert Buck received from his parents and family. His mother, father and grandmother had no concerns (that they shared openly) flying with him. Indeed, Robert flew his parents on a vacation tour to Boston in June, 1931. Likewise, he flew his aunt, a character actor, on a tour of New England in July, 1931.

They cheered his departures and welcomed his returns to New Jersey. They accompanied him to some of the speaking engagements that followed his notoriety. Apropos this support, his mother is cited in the Newark Star-Eagle, May 15, 1931, as, "...an ardent aviation enthusiast and believes Bob will develop into one of the greatest flyers in America." There's a lesson for us here.


Dossier 2.1.47

THIS PAGE UPLOADED: 03/03/06 REVISED: 04/15/07 (obituary), 01/18/08, FIN

The Register
R. Buck Publications

Robert N. Buck has written several books. Among them are:

1970. Weather Flying (ISBN: 0025180207)

1975. Flying Know-How (ISBN: 0440049318)

2002. North Star over My Shoulder : A Flying Life (ISBN: 0743219643)


Art Goebel's Own Story by Art Goebel (edited by G.W. Hyatt) is written in language that expands for us his life as a Golden Age aviation entrepreneur, who used his aviation exploits to build a business around his passion.  Available as a free download at the link.


Winners' Viewpoints: The Great 1927 Trans-Pacific Dole Race is available at the link. What was it like to fly from Oakland to Honolulu in a single-engine plane during August 1927? Was the 25,000 dollar prize worth it? Did the resulting fame balance the risk? For the first time ever, this book presents the pilot and navigator's stories written by them within days of their record-setting adventure. Pilot Art Goebel and navigator William V. Davis, Jr. take us with them on the Woolaroc, their orange and blue Travel Air monoplane (NX869) as they enter the hazardous world of Golden Age trans-oceanic air racing.


Clover Field: The First Century of Aviation in the Golden State. With the 100th anniversary in 2017 of the use of Clover Field as a place to land aircraft in Santa Monica, this book celebrates that use by exploring some of the people and aircraft that made the airport great.



Contact Us | Credits | Copyright © 2008 Delta Mike Airfield, Inc.
This website is best enjoyed in a 1024 x 768 screen resolution.
Web design by The Web Professional, Inc